The competency based education is a system of education that is used to learn solid practical skills rather than abstract way of learning. The person undergoing competency based learning acquires fine-grained skills and a high level of competency. The learners, however, work on a particular and limited competency at a single time from a larger learning pool. In this way they have to master successive and more complex competencies in the same manner. For example if someone has to learn driving, he needs to master rules of roads, safety standards, defensive driving and transmission and shifting through the gears. From students’ points of view, the CBE approach has certain pros and cons at the same time.
- Students have an option of flexibility as they can study at their individual pace. There are a lot of learners who have to switch between managing work and family; they find this approach highly effective.
- These programs are helpful in saving time significantly.
- These programs are tailored according to student choices and needs
- They help in making the foundations very strong and crystal clear because the competencies involved pertain to precise skills.
- They are helpful in terms of employment.
- Rising cost of education has considerably made it unaffordable for learners because the competency based education requires greater amount of time on the part of learner and hence more money.
- The duration of the learning in CBE approach can make learners stuck at one stage for longer period that can delay their entry into workforce. It can severely impact their skills in this rapidly changing world.
competency based education (CBE) is one of the newest ways of imparting education in young students. So read more such topics from our allassignmenthelp UK experts.